Monday, May 23, 2011

Learning vs Education: Where One Stops, The Other Is Not The End

This semester I'm taking a subject called Economics. Despite my many years of formal and self learning, Economics is one subject I've shallow knowledge about with respect to the concurrent level of world/general knowledge. Though common sense dictates it's easier to understand than my normal engineering stuff, I never really had formal education on Economics having been a science stream student my whole life, with a dose of Accountancy. Until now.

It is not unfathomable and not a surprise for me to see my desire for knowledge on this topic grow with each passing day as the more of what little I know from class, the more I know I don't know from materials and exposure outside class. With the emergence of Internet technology opening up gateways for unlimited information, it's all just a Google+Wiki search away.

As fellow uni mates would also know, this semester is different from the ordinary because it's short. Subjects allowed to be taken are reduced by half because each subject needs twice as much time per week since the short sem is half the duration of a long sem but the syllabus still need to be fully covered in time. For some reason my lecturer is not able to cover the whole syllabus and it's really a huge miss for those who actually genuinely care about learning, not just grades.

Sometimes I don't know if I blame the lecturers incompetence for teaching too slowly to my liking, or maybe it's just a right person caught up in a wrong situation. Maybe the class population in general needs a slower pace or maybe nobody really gives a shit about economics, but fact remains he won't be able to cover it all up this semester. Such a waste. Grades aside, there is something fundamentally wrong about this whole reality. Weren't we told since young we come to school to learn?

I've been pondering about this issue subconsciously, on and off for many weeks now and I think I've finally decided what to do.

Next semester, should circumstances permit, I would arrange with the situation to allow myself rejoin next semester's Economics class. More specifically, for those particular chapters he couldn't cover this semester. It's not the first time trying this, it's been positive really as a teacher can not really turn away eager to learn students outside formality.

I'll be looking forward to next semester to tie up this semesters loose ends. The unfinished business of lifelong learning at KLIUC.

No comments: