Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Boomdeyadah!

As students of my very international KLIUC, it doesn't take much to see the amazing thing about the word international here. Look beyond the majority and common locals of MalayChineseIndian and it doesn't take much to start noticing the interesting minorities.

First of all as I've known among the best of are the east Malaysians. To be honest before coming here I have no idea what are they like. I've been oblivious and/or blinded and didn't even know what I've been missing.

To cut a long story short, these far east movement are actually a bunch of distinctive, different yet also uniquely Malaysian humans. Cool names too, really.

In Primary School at jordan's class:
Teacher to rest: Name a Malay boy..?
Class: Ali!
Name an Indian boy..?
Class: Bala!
Name a Chinese boy..?
Class: Chong!


See how the names are all so common, typical and dull? And above all, widely used? There's an ali/bala/chong everywhere.

Then comes the influx of the far east movement and

People: I'm lincoln dominic. I'm joy cotter. I'm hilary jonathan. I'm nathalia luter.


HOW AWESOME IS THAT LA OMFG.

Anyway, the original purpose of writing this post was to just say I met two people today. Both friends but as I got to know them better I found out one's from Libya and the other from Tanzania.

And I didn't even have the slightest of slighted shit clue about where they both are located on the map(beside that Tanzania is in Africa and Libya is somEwhere near arab land, I think) till I feel no shame in coming clean about my lack of geographical knowledge.

There's so much to learn from them, yet still little motive. Maybe this is what naive is.

Awesome.

No comments: