Friday, December 31, 2010

Nostalgia at Differentiating the Needy from the Fakers

After a long day out and really drained, I reached back to my room and was relaxing down. Barely 10 minutes later someone knocked on my door and upon asking him whats the matter, he asked me if I could help give some idea for his assignment to him.

Naturally I was obviously pissed at his timing and was thinking of the nicest way of rejection. He got a phone call and as he was conversing in Arabic I took the opportunity to just sit back infront of my computer and continue to relax. The plan for the problem at the door? None. Relaxing is fun.

As I composed myself my thoughts starts asking myself, have we not done this too many times before already in the past? Of turning away people in need simply because I reckon I'm not in the mood for it.

Then I thought for a change, I would try the opposite.

I thought about that girl from the cafe which despite having a very low profile, she wouldn't shy away if someone who needs her help asked her for a favour. Even if it comes to nothing or worse, I'm wrong, atlease I can take some peace from giving. I would give it a try, now.

I told him to come in. I opened my heart to actually listening to him and helping him as best as I practically can. I helped him. After about 10 minutes we found the good stuff as the foundation for his assignment. He said thanks and left.

dot dot dot

On my way to the showers I realised that despite the massive internal anti-support, helping actually takes a quick while. Perhaps a little too quick. Perhaps if he didn't come to me he would have spent 10x the effort and 10x the time to get something of that standard due to his language and origin( he's from Arab) disadvantage.

Maybe I've been stereotyping people too much and when the real cry for help comes knocking on my door, I turn them away faster than the time it takes to blink an eye.

At the end of the day, despite how I despise society, we all still need each other. One day when I go to a foreign land and find the locals for help.

No comments: