Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Little Things That Means Alot

I had the chance to put practice into one of my many beliefs today.

Working in a construction company, I work hand in hand with the legendary foreign workers from India and neighbours. There exist a discrimination against them because of their status, their nationality, their backward mentality and ultimately, their race.

But despite sometimes finding myself looking down at them myself, I actually believe that at the end of the day they are all still humans just like us. The only difference in them being born into a life they didn't choose is, their background. A background from many eyes alone is enough to look down of them.

It's a life they didn't choose which perhaps too have alot of space for improvement and hopeful future. Can we really blame them for their mentality, their style, their language, their skin colour and smell, their faces, their tiny salary, if we say it is not only the background to be blamed? I don't think so.

Today in the evening after I had cleared all my work and was free to go home, my workers were in the office moving out some heavy bulky equipments from the store room, to bring it over to our new office. We are changing office, yeah. In the company's eyes, we Chinese office staff are quite like in a different league from them the indian workers.

Whenever there's some dirty manual work to be done like to move stuff or whatever, they will call the indian workers. That I've got not comments, because they are paid to work after all. What that catches my attention is how when they are working this special task, all the workers are treated evenly.

The senior works and the new workers, the old and the young workers, the team head and the assistants, they all are no different from one another when it comes to carrying the heavy wire or pushing the cart.

In my opinion that shows exactly how living in a world without differentiation by status and background would be like. Only thing is, while they work they'll be a Chinese office worker to stand there and instruct them while keeping his hands as bacteria free as possible.

If you were to lead, lead by example. If you want respect, lead by example. If you don't think you need anyone's respect, maybe you don't, but you are still better off having other's respect and that too is obtained by leading by example.

I know they are just Indian workers and blablalalala but we are all still humans. Like meat,we are all meat, just different kinds of meat with different value and demand. I can show you 100 ways to lose a person's respect in the time you take to show me a way to truly gain a person's respect, maybe. It's a fragile thing, it is not won but it can be lost, it is gained.

Today, today today todayyyy, I saw my Indian workers push the heavy load of equipments. After a long days work outside it would have been really tiring for them.I went and help them out by actually being an extra man to count for, being totally indifferent from them.

My colleagues were looking at me but I was so lost in that moment of excitement I barely noticed too. At one point while we were all in the lift there was a great sense of awkwardness in the air around us.

Everyone was thinking of the same thing, that why would a easy life office person like me bother to help them. They asked, and I said something like (in simple practical english) "We all same same, you man I man also, right?" They were surprised I guess.

I even let them order me around, some would say powerplay, but I see as suggesting a suggestion for the bettergood of getting the entire task done in the least costly way. If we all have a sincere intention and share a common aim of going home faster, I wouldn't mind being second best for the collective sake of everyone. Powerplay it is too, which is okay provided it is a both way interaction.

In the end my senior colleague after watching in amazement of my actions, came and help out too a little too. Haha.

I had put practice into something I believe in, and it's in the simple sense of achievement like this which gives special meanings in my life, of which I take great pleasure from.

No comments: