Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Following the Crowd- What happens if your opinion differs from the rest?

It's a matter of time before at some stage of our lives, we are faced with this same dilemma. I believe most people don't even consider this a dilemma because they don't even give it a proper thought, if you get what I mean.

I am always drowning in deep thoughts of my own on almost every single thing, that I often struggle to maintain my concentration on the physical happenings around me. It is bad, and good, a thing so it depends how one sees it.


Today in school, I heard there's a assignment submission due tomorrow. Instructions where told last week, of which the lecturer never explained it clearly and thoroughly.

One week ago,the lecturer told us we are being handed a mini assignment of summarizing an entire chapter which he will not cover due to time constrain, but he failed to indicate was it to be done individually or as a class thus creating speculation of this matter.

Some said as a class( less work to be done in general), some didn't want to take chances( they do themselves regardless of what others thinks), some others couldn't stand knowing others are doing( so they also join in and do themselves) and in the end, almost everyone is doing it for security reasons.

As for me, I choose not to believe it due to my logical reasoning- that the lecturer did this purely out of grave time constrain in our schedule, instead of for grading us purposes.

I've also got quite a reputation for standing to things I believe, even if it is not always right.

It's called standing out of the crowd, trying to be funny by some, giving excuses and being lazy by others. It depends on how you see it which differs.

***

What happens when you find yourself in this kind of situation, when your opinion and personal belief differs from the rest?

Would you stand out and try to be heard against the current, or hide in the shadows and go with the flow?


***

P/s: * Actually, I didn't do it because of my own time constrain. I'm not taking the chances of doing something which is half certain. For this time, I've gotten a easy way out, but it's not always going to be this easy all the time. Which boils down to the question, what would I next time when faced with the same dilemma of another kind?

2 comments:

cheahwey said...

Well, why don't you ask the lecturer which it is? Solo or class?

Anonymous said...

it's not about solo or class or whatnot. My point is, in life we are often face with this kind of scenario and each and every one of us have our own style of tackling this problem.
That is, gold.

Oh, I'm not really bothered actually. I've got other more serious stuff to keep me occupied, that's why. Aha.


Cheers,
Jordan
Das Connection